“This is a great alternative to pasta salad. Adding chickpeas takes the place of pasta and brings a punch of protein to the mix. This dressing is made of a light vegan mayo blended with garlic, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and refreshing dill. I love to make this with veggies I can’t find a use for in my refrigerator. It works great with broccoli florets, julienned carrots, green onions and peas . . . but feel free to experiment. If you’re are more of a pasta lover, swap the chickpeas for pasta or add both. You can see my pasta variation here: Garden Dill Pasta Salad!”
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets (you can also use the broccoli stem, julienned)
- 1 cup carrots, julienned (about 2-3)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup light vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp agave nectar or sugar
- Put broccoli florets and julienne carrots in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp tender. (See pic for idea on how veggies should look after a quick steam).
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dressing and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine chickpeas, broccoli and carrots, green onion, red pepper and peas. Add in about half the dressing and mix well. Slowly add in more dressing until pasta is the consistency you like (you probably won’t use all the dressing). Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Footnote: For my household, I add in as much as an extra teaspoon or more of pepper or even a dash of cayenne for a spicy twist!