“A refreshing alternative to the oily pasta salads. This dressing is made of a light vegan mayo blended with garlic, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and refreshing dill. I love to make this with veggies I can’t find a use for in my refrigerator. I love making it with broccoli florets, julienned carrots, red pepper, green onions and peas. If you’re not much of a pasta lover, swap the pasta for chickpeas and you’ll get a protein packed one dish wonder! Here is a link to the chickpea version: Garden Dill Chickpea Salad“
- 2 cups whole grain spiral pasta (3 1/2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets (you can also use the broccoli stem, julienned)
- 1 cup carrots, julienned (about 2-3)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup light vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp agave nectar or sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions (be careful not to overcook!). As soon as pasta is al dente, drain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- Put broccoli florets and julienne carrots in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp tender. (See pic for how veggies will look after a quick steam).
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dressing and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine pasta, broccoli and carrots, red pepper, green onion and cheese (if using). Add in about half the dressing and mix well. Slowly add in more dressing until pasta is the consistency you like (you may not use all the dressing). Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Footnote: For my household, I add in as much as an extra teaspoon or more of pepper or even a dash of cayenne for a spicy twist!