“I love chickpeas and how versatile they are. I usually prepare a batch of dried chickpeas once a week and put them in the refrigerator to be used when I need a last minute throw-together recipe. I have found if all else fails, you can throw them in a wrap with some veggies and some dressing and call it good. I like this one because it gives your average chickpea a spicy mexican twist. I will pair this with some chopped kale or lettuce and use the same dressing I used in the wrap as a topper for the salad. It makes for a Quick and easy lunch or light dinner… which makes eating healthy a lot easier to stick to.”
- 3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 8 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 3/4 cup tomato, seeded and finely diced (about 2-3 Roma’s)
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup or 1 large handful kale, chopped in small bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup corn (optional)
- 1-2 tsp Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice Mix (below)
- 3-4 flour tortillas, preferably whole wheat
- hummus (optional)
- 1/2 lite vegan mayo or lite vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup non chunky salsa (preferably chipotle flavor)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice Mix
This is a blend of spices you can use in place of packaged taco seasoning–and it tastes so much better! I make this mix then put it in a small glass jar so I have it on hand when I need to spice up Mexican dishes or other things like omelettes and popcorn. NOTE: this is enough to mix up and store. You’ll only need 1-2 tsps of it for this recipe.
- 6 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp mild chile powder (I like chile molido)
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- In large bowl slightly mash the chickpeas, leaving some whole or in large chunks.
- Mix in scallions, tomato, red pepper, kale and corn (if using).
- In separate small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dressing together.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of the dressing into the chickpea mixture and stir well. Then mix in 1 tsp of the Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice Mix and stir until well combined. Taste and if needed, add the extra tsp of VV Mexican spice mix. Mix in a few dashes of pepper to taste.
- Lay out a flour tortilla and spread with a little of the left over dressing (and hummus if you’d like). Fold in the ends then roll into a wrap, cut in half and enjoy!
This is very versatile. If you don’t have these veggies, feel free to substitute with other Mexican-inspired veggies or whatever you have on hand!
If you include cheese in your diet, this is also fantastic with a few tablespoons of feta cheese mix in.