“Okay, okay. I know I just posted a very similar recipe to this one. But I seriously could not help myself this time. And besides, this one IS different. The Grilled Veggie Soft Taco recipe I posted takes more time since you have to stand above a grill and cook the veggies. This one takes all but a few minutes to chop and dice. Then you throw the veggies all onto a large roasting pan and walk away for 20 minutes. Come back in and you have yourself dinner! Throw some corn tortillas in the microwave, scoop out the veggies and you’re done. What really inspired me to try this one today was two things. I opened my refrigerator and remembered it was overflowing with fresh vegetables that I needed to use ASAP. Secondly, one of my favorite bloggers, Erin of Naturally Ella, posted this recipe this morning and it looked too good NOT to try. I just happened to have all the ingredients and it looked so easy, I decided to make it for lunch. I was working from home today and I needed something healthy that wouldn’t take tons of time. This was the perfect thing. As Erin says on her blog, this looks like an overwhelming ingredient list but you can really use whatever veggies you have on hand. I didn’t have summer squash but I did have several zucchini’s so I just used 2 of those instead. I also added a green bell pepper, a whole onion instead of a half, and… extra garlic. Yeah, I know, here come the “garlic” jokes again. But seriously… I haven’t had a cold in years.”
-Adapted from Naturally Ella
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small summer squash (or a second zucchini if you don’t have summer squash), diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 ears sweet corn, removed from cob
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup full fat, plain greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Feta or Goat Cheese
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- Extra cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Prepare all the veggies as described.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and salt. Toss with veggies then lay it out in a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until tender and lightly browned. Mine took about 20-25 minutes but you can roast them short or longer depending on how well done you like it. I wanted a bit of carmelization on mine so I let it sit 5 more minutes than I intended.
- While veggies are roasting, whip together avocado, greek yogurt or creme fraiche, cilantro, and lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
- To assemble tacos, warm up tortillas (in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel or a oven with a damp tea towel) and assemble with roasted veggies, avocado cream, and a sprinkle of feta.
Footnotes: Don’t take the ingredient list too seriously. Use what you have. As Erin says, “ If you used zucchini and sweet corn you would still have one heck of a delicious taco.” Seriously, use what you have, that is what makes this recipe so nice and simple.
This makes enough for 4 or so. Here’s a cool hint. I cut up all these veggies then I put half of them into a large ziplock bag for dinner and roasted the other half for lunch. I also put half of the olive oil/garlic/cumin mixture aside and stored it in the fridge too. When dinnertime came I simply took the refrigerated, chopped veggies and put them on a pan, mixed in the other half of the olive oil/garlic/cumin mixture and popped them in the oven. Super cool!
Add in a can of drained/rinsed black beans for more protein if you’d like.
My photos are missing the feta. I’ll admit it. I was so hungry and excited to try these, I totally forgot the feta. Bummer!