“Looking for a healthy alternative to banana bread? Your family and friends will never guess that this super moist loaf is made with whole wheat flour and no oil! Rich in Omega 3’s, this is a very moist loaf sweetened with agave nectar (or honey) & brown sugar & made w/applesauce instead of oil. Make this loaf as directed and it has 220 calories for one loaf divided into 12 slices (2650 calories in whole batch).”
- 1/2 cup of sugar free applesauce
- 1/4 cup of agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup mashed bananas (3-4 medium bananas)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (300 on convection).
- In a large bowl, mix applesauce, agave nectar (or honey) and brown sugar together.
- Add eggs, and mix well.
- Stir in bananas and vanilla and blend well then stir in salt & cinnamon.
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to dissolve, and then add to batter.
- Add in chopped nuts.
- Take the measured wheat flour and sift it once or twice into a separate bowl. Gradually add in the sifted flour and mix just until blended in. Do NOT over mix!
- Spread batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean (5-10 min more on convection). Cool on wire rack before slicing.
- It’s important NOT to over mix wheat flour. Since wheat flour contains all the goodness including gluten, the dough will toughen much faster than white flour recipes if it is handled or mixed too much. This is why I have it added in as the very last step. Make sure to mix just until it is blended (a few flour streaks are okay) then pour into your greased loaf pan.