- 2 cups green split peas
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 4 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrot, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbls minced garlic (about 1 whole bulb), divided
- 2 tbls minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Bragg’s liquid aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 10 cups NO-Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-2 tsp salt
- Place peas in bowl and cover with water to 2 inches above peas. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add carrot and saute another 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Add bay leaves, half the garlic, half the rosemary, paprika, & pepper and saute another 1-2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and tomato paste, stir well and saute until liquid is evaporated; scraping the bottom and sides to keep loosening any brown bits. Add the broth.
- Drain and rinse the split peas. Add drained peas, remaining garlic, remaining rosemary and 1-2 tsp salt to the dutch oven (Salt content will be vary based on the type/brand of broth and soy sauce you use. These vary greatly in salt content so its better to use less at first. You can always add more at the end to taste). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until peas are tender and partly disintegrated. Broth will be thickened a bit from the peas. Discard the bay leaves and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with a dallop of sour cream if desired.
- 1 cup serving = 249 calories, 2.9g fat (1g sat, 1.1g mono, .2g poly), 14.4g protien, 42g carb, 1.8g Fiber, Chol 5mg, Iron 2.3mg, 299mg sodium, 43mg calcium