“These lentils have a light delicate flavor and are very versatile. This creation uses Turmeric which gives the dish a light buttery, Indian flavor. I added caramelized onion, garlic and a little cumin and garam masala to give it a bit more Indian flair and make it a great stand alone dish. I serve it with sour cream (or soy cream to keep it Vegan) and a few sprigs of cilantro.”
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Walla Walla onions, chopped
- 2 cups French Green Lentils
- 8 cups Mushroom or Vegetable Broth
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots or 6 small, diced small
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumim
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a medium dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium low for 7-10 minutes or until onions are very tender and slightly browned.
- Add the lentils, briefly stir then add the broth. Heat to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add the carrot, bulgar wheat, ginger, garlic and the rest of the spices. Add the salt in increments to taste; you may use more or less. Return to simmer and cook until carrots are tender and bulgar wheat is absorbed and soft.
- Serve with soy cream (if vegan) or sour cream or plain yogurt (for vegetarian), chopped green onion and cilantro.