“Yes, kale can be eaten raw! And if you prepare it correctly, it’s super tasty! Here is one of my favorite raw kale recipes. If you like garlic, you’ll love this!”
- 1/2 head curly green kale
- Olive oil (for massaging into kale)
- 6 tbsp olive oil (for dressing)
- 4-6 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 large pinches kosher salt
- Sunflower seeds (hulled)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely diced or 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Wash and dry kale thoroughly. Massage a little olive oil onto each leaf, rubbing front and back. Carefully hold the bottom of the stem with one hand and slide the opposite hand up the stem to remove the leaf from the stem. Discard the stem and tear the leaves into bite size pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- For dressing, whisk 6 tbsp olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, agave and salt. When oil is emulsified, pour over salad. NOTE: If the dressing is too thick for your liking, feel free to add more olive oil before pouring onto salad. You may want to get your hands dirty for this one and massage the dressing onto the salad a bit.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds to your taste and then sprinkle on nutritional yeast and cranberries, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This is a super versatile recipe. The first time you make it, you may want to taste the dressing and add more of whatever you like to your preference. Add more salt, less or more agave if you think it’s too sweet and more garlic if you are like me and LOVE things extra garlicky. Just make sure your significant other eats the same salad so you both have garlic breath!