“I love the variety of purple, red and yellow potatoes. Especially when you cook them together for a beautiful and delicious meal. In the spirit of making easy sides this week, it’s hard to beat this when it comes to low effort dishes. This savory side requires very little chopping since you use mini baby potatoes. I buy the bag that includes purple, red and yellow but really any potatoes will do. If you don’t have these wonderful baby potatoes available, just cut up regular ones into 1/2 – 3/4 inch chunks. Throw in a diced onion, minced garlic and my signature Mexican seasoning and you have yourself a savory snack or great side dish. This is always a hit at potlucks too!”
- 3 pounds of baby potatoes (or any potato cut in 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice mix (Recipe below – NOTE: do not use the whole batch. Only use 2-3 tbsp then reserve the rest for other dishes)
Vogue Vegetarian Spice Mix
This is a blend of spices you can use in place of packaged taco or Mexcian seasoning–and it tastes so much better! I make this mix then put it in a small glass jar so I have it on hand when I need to spice up Mexican dishes or other things like omelettes and popcorn.
- 6 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp mild chile powder (I like chile molido)
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large covered casserole dish, mix together all ingredients well. (Note: only use 2-3 tablespoons of the final spice mix as the recipe for that is for a large batch that you can reserve for later use in another dish.)
- Cover dish and cook for 1 hour. Stirring about every 30 minutes. Roast for another 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are very tender. Remove from oven and enjoy.
Footnote: Flavors will not be as strong after roasting. Feel free to add more spice mix during or after cooking to your taste.