Chipotle Chickpea Wraps (Vegan)

“I love chickpeas and how versatile they are.  I usually prepare a batch of dried chickpeas once a week and put them in the refrigerator to be used when I need a last minute throw-together recipe.  I have found if all else fails, you can throw them in a wrap with some veggies and some dressing and call it good.  I like this one because it gives your average chickpea a spicy mexican twist.  I will pair this with some chopped kale or lettuce and use the same dressing I used in the wrap as a topper for the salad.  It makes for a Quick and easy lunch or light dinner… which makes eating healthy a lot easier to stick to.”

Chipotle Chickpea Wrap

Ingredients

• 3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 8 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
  • 3/4 cup tomato, seeded and finely diced (about 2-3 Roma’s)
  • 1 red pepper, finely diced
  • 1 cup or 1 large handful kale, chopped in small bite size pieces
  • 1/4 cup corn (optional)
  • 1-2 tsp Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice Mix (below)
  • 3-4 flour tortillas, preferably whole wheat
  • hummus (optional)

Dressing

• 1/2 lite vegan mayo or lite vegan sour cream
  • 1/2 cup non chunky salsa (preferably chipotle flavor)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 tsp chipotle chile powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano

Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice Mix

This is a blend of spices you can use in place of packaged taco seasoning–and it tastes so much better!  I make this mix then put it in a small glass jar so I have it on hand when I need to spice up Mexican dishes or other things like omelettes and popcorn. NOTE: this is enough to mix up and store. You’ll only need 1-2 tsps of it for this recipe.

• 6 tsp cumin
  • 3 tsp mild chile powder (I like chile molido)
  • 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp garlic powder

Directions

1. In large bowl slightly mash the chickpeas, leaving some whole or in large chunks.
  2. Mix in scallions, tomato, red pepper, kale and corn (if using).
  3. In separate small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dressing together.
  4. Mix in 1/2 cup of the dressing into the chickpea mixture and stir well.  Then mix in 1 tsp of the Vogue Vegetarian Mexican Spice Mix and stir until well combined.  Taste and if needed, add the extra tsp of VV Mexican spice mix.  Mix in a few dashes of pepper to taste.
  5. Lay out a flour tortilla and spread with a little of the left over dressing (and hummus if you’d like).  Fold in the ends then roll into a wrap, cut in half and enjoy!

Footnotes:

This is very versatile.  If you don’t have these veggies, feel free to substitute with other Mexican-inspired veggies or whatever you have on hand!

If you include cheese in your diet, this is also fantastic with a few tablespoons of feta cheese mix in.

Chipotle Chickpea Wrap

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beans & Lentils, Mexican/Latin, Vegan

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

9 Comments on “Chipotle Chickpea Wraps (Vegan)”

1. January 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

Oh good LORDY!

I am oh so very glad that you stopped by my blog and left such a lovely comment.

Thank you, because I am so glad to have discovered this amazing little corner of the internet.

I am a new vegetarian – as of 26 December, and although I adore vegetable meals, its *always* nice to get some extra inspiration!

At the moment, I am totally crushing on chick peas, lentils and quinoa.

Thanks for all the time you’ve put into this blog – even though you are a busy mama.

I’m sure we’ll be hearing from each other soon!

x jessica

• January 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Your blog is gorgeous and you take amazing photos! I could actually smell the outdoor air and the delicious food on the table in your date night shots. It instantly made me want to be there with my husband and I realized its been too long since our last real date. I love photography that can move you like that.

Welcome to the vegetarian lifestyle! I am completely in love with eating this way and I can spend all day just talking about it. The toughest thing I have found about this lifestyle is that there is quite a bit of preparation and time involved… especially when we are so used to fast food, etc. But the payoff is huge. My family is so much more healthier, vibrant and happy. My husband has gained control over depression and anxiety and we have drawn closer as a family as we prepare and eat delicious meals that are good for our body and soul. The changes are so profound, I will never look back. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have and I look forward to staying in touch. Keep up the good work! Cheers!

2. January 30, 2012 at 3:24 am #

I made something very similar last night! Mexican wraps are the best! 🙂

3. January 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

These look fantastic, I bet if I made them the night before and took them into work they would be incredibly tasty!
    How on earth do you get the time to make, photograph and then post and write about such gorgeous dishes so often!

4. March 8, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Awesome – I’m always looking for a new way with chickpeas. I like the spice mix as well. I like having specialized mixes on hand and making my own means I know if there is salt in there or not.

• March 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I totally agree with you. I also like knowing that there isn’t a bunch of other junk in the spice mix and I know how fresh it is. 🙂

5. erin
    June 4, 2012 at 9:45 am #

so amazing! i have been experimenting with / transitioning to a vegan diet this year and your recipes are some of the best i have found. thank you so much for sharing!

i made this last night for the first of what i am sure will be many times. i used the pioneer woman restaurant style salsa for the dressing mix (since i always have a pretty fresh batch on hand), and it is delicious. i would check it out if you are looking for a new salsa recipe to try!

thanks again – looking forward to trying more!!

• June 4, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Wow, thanks for the compliment! I am honored to have you try these. I will definitely check out that salsa recipe and maybe make a few changes to this one so it includes that. Thanks for the tip and thank you for the nice comment!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Taco Soup- Cosmo Hippie Style « Cosmo Hippie Chef - February 19, 2012

[…] -mix these all together and keep in an airtight jar to use for your recipes, I got this recipe from Vogue Vegetarian. […]